The Social Protection Secretariat Kenya was established in 2010 to guide and facilitate integration, coordination and harmonization of Social Protection programmes in Kenya under a national Social Protection system.
An Inclusive Society
To support poverty reduction efforts through promotion of good governance, sector coherence, and equitable coverage.
Guided by the National Social Protection Policy, the Secretariat is tasked to perform the following functions:
- Provide overall strategic direction, technical support and strengthen institutional governance for an effective National Social Protection system;
- Facilitate the development, review and monitoring of Social Protection policies and legislation
- Establish strategic coordination mechanisms across and between Social Protection actors in Kenya including line Ministries and development partners
- Support the refining of mechanisms for effective targeting and mapping of resource allocation of SP initiatives
- Support the development of SP Management Information Systems, to reinforce SP data collection, collation and dissemination
- Facilitate research for improved targeting of poor and vulnerable groups
- Establish and maintain an effective advocacy, communication and influencing system on SP issues
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop mechanisms for establishing a National Social Protection Consolidated Fund.
The SP Secretariat is currently housed in the Ministry of Labour, Social Security and Services with offices located at the ACK Silo Parking Building, 9th Floor (opposite NSSF Building, Bishops Road, Milimani).